Job Description: Adult Day Center Activity Coordinator/Assistant Director
I. YWCA PURPOSE & NONDISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
The YWCA of Bethlehem is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
It is the policy of the YWCA of Bethlehem not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual preference, veteran status or any other legally protected classification in its programs, activities or employment.
The Activity Coordinator/Assistant Director is responsible for planning, scheduling, and facilitating recreation, arts and crafts, and other special activities. These activities are to be adapted to meet the individual client’s abilities and enhance their leisure, social, and functional skills. As Assistant Director, the position will be responsible for the administration and general management of the adult day care center in the Director’s absence.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Plan, schedule and facilitate a minimum of two special recreational, arts and crafts, physical recreation or social activities for use during each program day and maintain a list of activity and craft ideas for use by other staff.
- Prepare monthly written work plans two weeks in advance.
- Ensure each craft or project is suitable for the majority of clients and attempts to motivate each client to his/her full potential.
- Delegate, supervise and communicate programming with program aides.
- Reinforce reality awareness and utilize non-verbal communication exercises such as drawing, painting, collages, and verbal communication exercises such as memory stimulation through the discussion of current topic event and thematic program modules.
- Provide assignments, supervise and maintain documentation for Adult Day Services Center Program volunteers.
- Prepare monthly written thematic plans and submit them two weeks in advance.
- Research weekly themes.
- Plan special programs and events.
- Research and schedule appropriate entertainment.
- Shop for craft supplies and program supplies.
- Perform client care including assistance with feeding, assistance in the bathroom, personal hygiene and grooming as directed in client care plan.
- Aid in the serving of meals and snacks.
- In the absence of the director, oversee daily operations of the adult day services center.
- Serve as an integral member of the program staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must become Medication Certified
- Bachelor’s Degree or High school diploma or GED equivalent with 2 years experience in the human services field and skills to work with aging adults with functional impairment
- First Aid and CPR certified (within three months of hire)
- Medication Administration Certified within 3 months and trained as a Practicum Observer
- Completed PA Department of Aging Older Adult Daily Living Center Online Training Series
- Ability to work as a team member and with people of diverse backgrounds
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential information
- Criminal background and child abuse checks, biannual physical, and annual training required
- Ability to network and represent the YWCA in the community
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and travel throughout the Lehigh Valley to attend events and meetings, as necessary.
VI. HOURS OF WORK
Part-time Mon – Fri 9:30- 4:00 (Later as needed to cover shifts)
Accountable to Adult Day Services Center Director